About Me

My photo
I am a 68 year old disabled amateur part-time writer living in Slough, Berkshire UK. I have published around 50 articles in 20 leisure and lifestyle magazines. I live with a range of health issues including heart disease, chronic kidney disease, Type 2 diabetes, depression, atrial fibrillation and restless leg syndrome. (I'm working my way through the medical dictionary!). I'm a member of Slough Writer's Group which is interesting and informative. Latest News. 10th July 2023 Awarded 'The Sandy Lee-Guard Award for Endeavour' by the Slough Writers Group. 6th December 2023 Completed studying 'Writing for Magazines' with CityLit University. 14th December 2023 Booked onto the ' National Centre for Writing' course 'Creative Non-Fiction - An Introduction' beginning on 12th February 2024. You can see the articles that have been published in the 'LATEST WORK' section of my website.

Tuesday 2 January 2024

A depressing day in the New Year.

This evening I tripped over in the lounge, banged my head, and fractured my other (left) femur. It was an agonizing wait for an ambulance. When I first called 999 to request an ambulance, I was told that the current wait time was 12 hours!. I called back a couple of hours later as I'd started getting chest pain and they upgraded me to 'high-priority' for which the wait time was 4 hours, however, the first ambulance arrived about 2 hours after the second 999 call. They had no 'gas and air' nor were they equipped to deliver IV morphine and they had to call for a second ambulance.

Putting me in a 'split stretcher' was sheer agony as I was being wheeled into the ambulance. I was taken to Wexham Park Hospital. As I'd banged my head, they first of all put me in a CT scanner. Later, they x-rayed my hip which showed that I'd fractured my femur.

The following day I had to have an operation to insert a titanium rod and screws into the top of my femur. (Intramedullary nail (IM Nail) fixation). I spent a short time in the recovery ward before being transferred to Ward 1. After a few days, I was transferred to the rehabilitation ward (Jubilee Ward) at Upton Hospital where I stayed until my discharge on Thursday 8th Feb.

No comments:

Post a Comment