About Me

My photo
I am a 68-year-old gay disabled amateur part-time writer living in Slough, Berkshire UK. I have published around 50 articles in 20 leisure and lifestyle magazines. I live with a range of health issues including heart disease, chronic kidney disease, Type 2 diabetes, depression, atrial fibrillation and restless leg syndrome. (I'm working my way through the medical dictionary!). I'm a member of Slough Writer's Group which is interesting and informative. Latest News. 10th July 2023 Awarded 'The Sandy Lee-Guard Award for Endeavour' by the Slough Writers Group. 6th December 2023 Completed studying 'Writing for Magazines' with CityLit University. January 2nd 2024. Fell over in the lounge and fractured my left femur (whilst recovering from fracturing my right femur in July 2023). Recovery expected to take 6 - 8 months. May 2024. Completed studying ' National Centre for Writing' course 'Creative Non-Fiction - An Introduction'. You can see the articles that have been published in the 'LATEST WORK' section of my website.

Tuesday 26 December 2023

Boxing Day (Tuesday)

I have to start with a 'rant' - about fireworks...


Should they be banned? I think so except for properly arranged displays on designated dates e.g. Bonfire night, Christmas night, New Year's night, etc. And organisers should hold an officially recognized safety certificate.

The reason I say this is because of the disturbances that they impose on young children, pets (dogs in particular), and other animals.

Last night we suffered dozens of fireworks being let off, in a garden just yards from our bedroom window. Lottie kept barking at them even though she's blind. She barked and barked incessantly whilst running around the flat.

Last night, while all this was going on, I began the 'Week 4' section of my OpenLearn course 'Understanding autism'. I'd been reasonably successful with weeks 1 - 3, the lowest score being 62%. I think that I'd been lulled into a false sense of security.

When it came to the assessment, in none of the sections I completed did I score anything? However, I this week considered clues to autism in early childhood, highlighting subtle differences from typical development that parents tend to notice. 

After introducing the diagnostic criteria and diagnostic process, the focus moved to parents’ and individuals’ experiences of diagnosis, considering both the positives and the negatives.

Finally, the week considered the likelihood that girls are being underdiagnosed because their behaviour does not match autism stereotypes and the challenges of diagnosis in cross-cultural settings.

As I reached further difficulty, I realised that as I'm going to be writing from a 'general audience' point of view, I think that I should be directing my questions towards, and using the replies from my subject Bodie and organisations such as the 'National Autistic Society', etc. when it comes to it.

I was being asked questions such as "Describe the dsm-5 set of diagnostic criteria outlines social communication difficulties and restrictions." This and all the other questions are too much for me.

I have clearly bit off more than I can chew.

PM

I didn't do much this afternoon. I watched some 80's hits which took me back to my early years together with Simon.

21:30 and I'm not really interested with anything on television, so I've come online to update this blog and catch up with emails, WhatsApp messages and MSN Messenger.

This week I plan on 'writing up' the recording of my interview with Wayne May, and writing the article.

That's all for tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment