About Me

My photo
I am a 68-year-old gay disabled amateur part-time writer living in Slough, Berkshire UK. I have published around 50 articles in 20 leisure and lifestyle magazines. I live with a range of health issues including heart disease, chronic kidney disease, Type 2 diabetes, depression, atrial fibrillation and restless leg syndrome. (I'm working my way through the medical dictionary!). I'm a member of Slough Writer's Group which is interesting and informative. Latest News. 10th July 2023 Awarded 'The Sandy Lee-Guard Award for Endeavour' by the Slough Writers Group. 6th December 2023 Completed studying 'Writing for Magazines' with CityLit University. January 2nd 2024. Fell over in the lounge and fractured my left femur (whilst recovering from fracturing my right femur in July 2023). Recovery expected to take 6 - 8 months. May 2024. Completed studying ' National Centre for Writing' course 'Creative Non-Fiction - An Introduction'. You can see the articles that have been published in the 'LATEST WORK' section of my website.

Wednesday 5 October 2022

Tom

 


TOM
Hi, welcome.

This is my current project. At 'Innerverse', we have been set the task of writing a 750 word story by the next group meet.

I'm planning to write a story about Tom, a 76 year old man, living with dementia.

I've done some research and drawn a 'spidergram' to help and inspire me.

These are parts of the story I've worked out so far:-

Widower Tom Cuttings, age 76, born 1945:

Husband of his late wife, Brenda 'Bren'.

Father of Mandy Hawthorn (nee Cuttings). born 1975, age 47. Mother of Helen Hawthorn (Tom's grand daughter) born 2005, age 17.

'Home' Greenfield Residential Home.

This is as far as I've got so far. Will continue tomorrow

Richard

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Tom'

Opening para:-

Mandy knocked on the door, gently, and opened it. Tom was sitting in his wheelchair, near the window, looking out onto the garden. “Dad?” said Mandy, in a quiet voice. The first thing she noticed was a faint smell of stale urine mixed with the strong smell of disinfectant, the sort that used to be used in hospitals. “Dad.” she said, a little louder, “It’s me, Mandy. I’ve come to see you.”

Remainder will be online tomorrow 08/10/22 at www.richardhill.co.uk/tom.pdf

Richard


No comments:

Post a Comment