About Me

My photo
I am a 68-year-old gay disabled amateur part-time writer living in Slough, Berkshire UK. I have published around 50 articles in 20 leisure and lifestyle magazines. I live with a range of health issues including heart disease, chronic kidney disease, Type 2 diabetes, depression, atrial fibrillation and restless leg syndrome. (I'm working my way through the medical dictionary!). I'm a member of Slough Writer's Group which is interesting and informative. Latest News. 10th July 2023 Awarded 'The Sandy Lee-Guard Award for Endeavour' by the Slough Writers Group. 6th December 2023 Completed studying 'Writing for Magazines' with CityLit University. January 2nd 2024. Fell over in the lounge and fractured my left femur (whilst recovering from fracturing my right femur in July 2023). Recovery expected to take 6 - 8 months. Currently studying ' National Centre for Writing' course 'Creative Non-Fiction - An Introduction'. You can see the articles that have been published in the 'LATEST WORK' section of my website.

Wednesday 10 April 2024

Wednesday

It's been a funny week so far. It's been a mixture of studying, reading and writing. There's not much to report except to share one of my writings that I've submitted to an anthology of work by members of the 'Gay Authors Workshop'...

The Two Brewers 



Richard Hill 

I don’t remember the weather. I was walking down Clapham High Street, a route that I walked most evenings from my home and workplace, South Western Hospital. It was quite late, around 10pm. My destination was, the Two Brewers, a gay pub that had been open for a year or so. 

Once inside, I entered the ‘dance bar’, as opposed to the ‘drag bar’. It was quite quiet, but for the Two Brewers, this was the norm at this time of the night. Evelyn Thomas's "High Energy" was being played at a zillion decibels. 

I went to the bar. “What are you having love.” shouted the muscular bearded barman, in full drag. "the usual?” I nodded. Drag queens tended to (and sometimes still do) make me cringe. I waited as he poured me a lager from one of the pumps. “60 pence please love.”, he shouted as he handed me my pint. I paid and went and stood at the corner of the bar as the room slowly began to fill. 

Much later, by now, the room was busy, heaving with men. Some cruised other men while others danced. I wasn’t there to cruise, preferring instead just to take in the ‘scenery’. By now, I was on my third or fourth pint. 

In front of me, leaning with his back against a mirrored pillar, was a young man who flashed the occasional glance in my direction. I smiled, and he smiled back. He was a goodlooking ‘straight’ looking guy with engaging facial features. He was dressed in a Levi style jacket and jeans which contributed to his heterosexual appearance. I was being cruised. Should I reciprocate? 

To cut a ‘long story short’, forty years on, in July this year, we celebrated our forty years together. 


No comments:

Post a Comment